Thursday, May 14, 2015

D Blog Day 4: Changes




Today let's talk about changes, in one of two ways. Either tell us what you'd most like to see change about diabetes, in any way. This can be management tools, devices, medications, people's perceptions, your own feelings – anything at all that you feel could use changing. OR reflect back on some changes you or your loved one has seen or been through since being diagnosed with diabetes. Were they expected or did they surprise you?





In 1924, what did it feel like to receive an expirimental drug that had only been tested on dogs-was it scary?


In 1939, were parents already sick of this "in five years" line?


In 1943, did they dream of a time when their child could be like any other child and eat the piece of birthday cake?


In 1953, were they ever afraid to go to sleep, wondering if their child would have a bad low overnight?


In 1964, did they dream of a device that would tell them the current blood sugar level..day or night?


In 1972, did they ever want to smack the food police?


In 1981, did they ever think that diabetes might still be around, 34 years later?


In 1990, was it social suicide to wear an insulin pump?


In 1995, were pb crackers and oj the first thing people tried to cram down your throat during a hypo?


In 1999, did anyone else stockpile diabetes supplies for Y2K? (besides me)


In 2005, could anyone have dreamed that the failure of the Glucowatch wasn't the worst thing ever and might just

be paving the way to the dawn of the Continuous Glucose Monitor/NightScout/Artificial Pancreas?


So I wonder..what's next for diabetes? Change doesn't come fast enough but it is coming. (in all forms of diabetes) And that gives me hope, because one day I'd like not to have diabetes, and I'd like for my son to have the best tools imaginable if he were to get it. (gene therapy advancement is not as much on researcher's "to do" list as curing T1) It would really suck if they cured type 1 and couldn't cure monogenic diabetes, although that's a whole other can of worms that makes no sense worrying at at the current time. T1 isn't going to be cured any time soon.



6 comments:

Kelley said...

Wow, I think this is my favorite post of the day. I love your approach to the changes!

StephenS said...

Heidi, these are great questions! We have come a long way, and I hope we can go all the way to a cure very, very soon. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great post Heidi! I didn't stockpile stuff - maybe I should have!

katy said...

You are so smart. I never think of parents in the 20's and 30's being afraid like I'm afraid. But of course they were afraid. My heart just grew five sizes.

Katie said...

This is a great post! It's easy for me to get down about the lack of a cure, so it's good to remember how far things have come. That being said, I hope the positive changes continue - and fast. Like you, I hope to not have one day. :)

Scott E said...

Very good writeup!To all the naysayers that tell us that diabetes treatment hasn't changed over all these years and that it's still injected insulin, I think they should read this!